A Classic American Dessert with an Eastern Twist
Coffee House Express offers a variety of brands and flavors of some of the best green tea on the market. You also find Lipton Tea, Tazo Tea and Organic Chai Tea, all provided in our large selection of products.
But for the green tea enthusiast who wants to experience the delicious flavor of green tea in a classic American dessert, here is a homemade green tea cupcake recipe to bake on your own.
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 2 Hours
Recipe Yields: 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil butter spread (such as Smart Balance®)
- 1/2 cup granular no-calorie sucralose sweetener (such as Splenda®)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons green tea powder (matcha)
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Beat the butter, vegetable oil butter spread, sweetener, and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in color. Add the room-temperature egg whites one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts with the last egg. Combine cake flour, baking powder, and green tea powder in a small bowl. Pour in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing until just incorporated. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.